Monday, May 4, 2009

Anaheim- Angel Stadium Review

Having been to 15 of 30 current MLB stadiums and a handful of MiLB, college, and spring training ballparks, I have decided to begin a series of review postings on the MLB stadiums that I have been to in my lifetime. My grading criteria includes: staff friendliness, food options, seat comfort, overall ambience, stadium appearance, and fan attitudes.I will begin with the Anaheim Angels and move on alphabetically according to geographical location. I will be going to Atlanta in June and the two new NY stadiums in September, so I will review those ballparks then.

ANGEL STADIUM
Year Built: 1966
Capacity: 45, 050
Surface: Grass
Cost to Build: $24 million/ $118 million renovations 
Overall Grade: A-
Return Someday: Yes

I have been going to Angel Stadium since I was a kid and it was a multi-purpose stadium when the LA Rams were still in town. I've seen the Angels go from the California Angels to the Disney Anaheim Angels, to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. But nonetheless, I have always enjoyed going to the stadium. It has a very special place in my heart, because my parents used to take me and my brother to games here. The renovations that Disney did in 1997-1999 really made the Big A look great! I used to like the Angels as a team until they beat my beloved Giants in the 2002 World Series game 7. What a huge heartbreak loss that was for me. Anyway back to the stadium review.... great food varieties: Carl's Jr, Panda Express, typical ball park fare, roasted corn on the cob, mexican food, a Ruby's, and a Hooter's. YUMMY!!! The seats are very comfortable, the employees are very friendly and accommodating, it is a great family environment, the best in LA. Family fun is in the kids zone, and in the Nestle Family seating area, where there isn't any beer sold. They have a splash mountain looking rocky area in center field, where fireworks shoot out of after an Angels homer. Other notable landmarks are the two gigantic Angels hats in front of the stadium's main entrance and of course the iconic Big A in the parking lot. They have their 2002 WS Trophy proudly on display in the glass case by the stadium store. I hate walking by the store having that heartbreaking reminder. Even the nose bleed seats are nice...unlike their cross-town rivals. I would and am returning this season in July to see a game when the Yankees are in town. This stadium is right off the 5 freeway and it is very easy to get in and out of. For some reason, I always have a hard time finding my car after the games, but that's just me forgetting where I parked, not the stadium's fault.  One time we walked the entire parking lot around the stadium after a game trying to find the car. Expect a good looking fan base, especially since it is the OC. The fans a mildly tempered. Don't be afraid to cheer for your visiting team while wearing your team's gear here.family environment, so bring the kids and enjoy the rally monkey's antics! 

No comments: