I'm tired of all of these Jeter-haters out there, so I created this list to demonstrate DJ's accomplishments. He is what all MLB players should aspire to be. He has class, and gives a 110% in every game...he plays the game the Yankee way.
These are the top 10 reasons why everyone should give the Yankee Captain respect:
10.) Drafted by NY out of high school in 1992, he never needed to play college ball.
9.)He has spent his entire career with the Yankees, starting in 1995 when he was 20 years old.
8.) In 2000, he became the only player to win both the All-Star Game MVP and the World Series MVP in the same year.
7.) He is a 9 time All-Star shortstop.
6.) He won the AL Rookie of the Year in 1995.
5.) He has won 3 Silver Slugger Awards.
4.) He is a three time Gold Glove Award Winner (the most recent award was in 2006).
3.) He has been in the top seven in the AL in both hits and runs scored for nine of the past 10 years.
2.) His .317 career batting average through the 2007 season ranks him with the 5th highe
st lifetime batting average of all active baseball players.
1.) Derek tied "Iron Horse" Lou Gehrig for the most hits at Yankee Stadium (1,269) with a homerun off TB pitcher David Price on 9/14/08 (that's the game we were at). Two days later, on 9/16/08, he went on to break the record off of the Chi Sox pitcher Gavin Floyd. A record that will never be broken, since Yankee Stadium is no more, and it will not carry over to the new stadium.
Honorable mention of accomplishments that didn't make the top ten list:
- 4 time World Series winner.
- He is only one of two MLB players sponsored by Michael Jordan (The other is Andruw Jones).
- He represented Team USA as the starting shortstop in the WBC in '06 (batting .450)including the upcoming '09 tournament.
- Has dated: Mariah Carey, Miss Universe Lara Dutta, Jordana Brewster, Brazilian supermodel Adriana Lima, Jessica Biel, Vanessa Minillo, and Minka Kelly. Not to mention rumored to have dated Jessica Alba, Scarlett Johanson, and Tyra Banks...what a PIMP !!!
- Appeared on SNL.
- He has been on the Simpsons and Sesame Street.
- He is part owner of three 24 Hour Fitness clubs in NYC.
- My wife, along with most red blooded American women think "he's so wonderful."